Autumn Term 2021
After 4 terms of almost exclusively online chess, Richmond Junior Chess club returns to Orleans Park School for face to face chess teaching on Saturday, 11th September. Every week, from 2 to 5 p.m., until Saturday 4th December, with the exception of 23rd October, when we will close for a Half-Term break.
Autumn Term 2021 will consist of 12 sessions:
- September 11, 18, 25
- October 2, 9, 16, 30
- November 6, 13, 20, 27
- December 4
Please note that there will be no classes on Saturday, October 23rd, as we will be taking a break for Half-Term.
Types of Classes
We split our classes into the following types:
- Beginners – we run a class lasting for an hour and ten minutes for young players, aged 6 years and up, learning chess for the first time.
- Novices – we run a class lasting for an hour and ten minutes for young players who are familiar with the moves of the pieces and the purpose of the game (i.e. checkmate) in order to teach them the basic tactical themes (double attack, pin, skewer, discovered check, double check, discovered attack, removal of the guard, etc.) and the elementary endgame mates (king and queen, two rooks and king and rook against the lone king).
- Intermediate – we hold classes for young players who are already familiar with the moves of the pieces, the basic tactical themes and the elementary endgame mates and wish to improve their knowledge and skills further to gain the confidence to be able to take part in chess tournaments for the first time.
- Advanced – we hold classes for young people up to 18 years of age, who are already taking part in chess tournaments, at local, regional, national and international levels. These classes are held by skilled coaches who are themselves experienced, strong players, able to impart high level knowledge about all aspects of the game, from openings, middle-games, endgames, attack and defence, tactics, strategy and positional play, to sports psychology and how to maximum one’s performance.
14:20 – 15:30 Group instruction, and the opportunity to play against other Beginners
15:40 – 16:50 Group instruction, and the opportunity to play against other Novices
14:00 – 14:20 Sign-in/Friendly Game
14:20 – 15:20 Instruction in ability groups
15:30 – 16:30 ECF rated rapidplay game in the Club Championship
16:30 – 17:00 Coach-led game analysis of the games played in the Club Championship
Signing Up to our Classes
To sign your children up:
- Please download and complete the Membership Form. (Download and complete in whichever format you find most convenient):
- Please download and complete the Fees – Autumn Term 2021 Form. (Download and complete in whichever format you find most convenient):
- Please download and complete the Covid-19 Agreement, in which you agree to abide by any provisions the venue and the club may from time to time make concerning measures regarding combating Covid-19 and in which you also state what your preferences are should we have to deal with another lockdown. (Download and complete in whichever format you find most convenient):
- Optionally, you may like to download and complete an Online Membership Form. This will speed things up, should we have to move from face-to-face provision to online provision again, due to government regulation concerning the Covid-19 pandemic. (Download and complete in whichever format you find most convenient):
- Please return the completed forms by email to email@example.com.
- On receipt of the forms, you will receive confirmation of your children’s places in our classes and any specific instructions.
- You may like to download a RJCC Flyer for Autumn Term. Perhaps you might like to post it at your library or school, or simply keep as reminder of the dates.