Spring Term 2022
Richmond Junior Chess club continues at Orleans Park School for face to face chess chess teaching and play on Saturday, 8th January. Every week, from 2 to 5 p.m., until Saturday 26th March, with the exception of 12th February, when we will close for a Half-Term break.
Spring Term 2022 will consist of 11 sessions:
- January 8, 15, 22, 29
- February 5, 12, 26
- March 5, 12, 19, 26
Please note that there will be no classes on Saturday, February 19th, as we will be taking a break for Half-Term.
Please note that due to Covid-19 concerns, we will be asking for all to have a clear lateral flow test either on the evening or on the morning before each session and we require masks to be worn by all except the medically exempted and primary school children.
Full details of our Covid-19 Regulations, with which we hope to minimise Covid-19 transmission risks, with the support of the club, its staff, parents, the young people attending the club, visitors and the venue can be found at: http://rjcc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/RJCC-Covid-19-Regulations.pdf. This is based on the protocol by which we run the Richmond Blitz in December, and which received much praise from those taking part, for its clarity and for how it made them feel safe. Please read this carefully – your full support and compliance is needed.
Moreover, due to the continuing rise in hospitalisations since the start of January, and the continued risk of government intervention, there remains the worry that tighter Covid-19 regulations or another lockdown will be implemented by the government in England. We therefore also ask that you complete the Covid-19 Agreement, by which you clarify how you wish to proceed if the club iss forced to go online due to government intervention. If you wish the termly subscription to be refunded, then please book only half a term at a time, instead of for the full term.
Types of Classes
We split our classes into the following types:
- Beginners – we run a class lasting for an hour and ten minutes for young players, aged 6 years and up, learning chess for the first time.
- Novices – we run a class lasting for an hour and ten minutes for young players who are familiar with the moves of the pieces and the purpose of the game (i.e. checkmate) in order to teach them the basic tactical themes (double attack, pin, skewer, discovered check, double check, discovered attack, removal of the guard, etc.) and the elementary endgame mates (king and queen, two rooks and king and rook against the lone king).
- Intermediate – we hold classes for young players who are already familiar with the moves of the pieces, the basic tactical themes and the elementary endgame mates and wish to improve their knowledge and skills further to gain the confidence to be able to take part in chess tournaments for the first time.
- Advanced – we hold classes for young people up to 18 years of age, who are already taking part in chess tournaments, at local, regional, national and international levels. These classes are held by skilled coaches who are themselves experienced, strong players, able to impart high level knowledge about all aspects of the game, from openings, middle-games, endgames, attack and defence, tactics, strategy and positional play, to sports psychology and how to maximum one’s performance.
14:20 – 15:30 Group instruction, and the opportunity to play against other Beginners
15:40 – 16:50 Group instruction, and the opportunity to play against other Novices
14:00 – 14:20 Sign-in/Friendly Game
14:20 – 15:20 Instruction in ability groups
15:30 – 16:30 ECF rated rapidplay game in the Club Championship
16:30 – 17:00 Coach-led game analysis of the games played in the Club Championship
Signing Up to our Classes
To sign your children up:
- Please download and complete the Membership Form. (Download and complete in whichever format you find most convenient):
- Please download and complete the Fees – Spring Term 2022 Form. (Download and complete in whichever format you find most convenient):
- Please read the club’s Covid-19 Regulations and download and complete the Covid-19 Agreement, in which you agree to abide by any provisions the venue and the club may from time to time make concerning measures regarding combating Covid-19 and in which you also state what your preferences are should we have to deal with another lockdown. (Download and complete in whichever format you find most convenient):
- Optionally, you may like to download and complete an Online Membership Form. This will speed things up, should we have to move from face-to-face provision to online provision again, due to government regulation concerning the Covid-19 pandemic. (Download and complete in whichever format you find most convenient):
- Please return the completed forms by email to email@example.com.
- On receipt of the forms, you will receive confirmation of your children’s places in our classes and any specific instructions.
- You may like to download a Club Flyer for Spring Term 2022. The flyer includes all the important dates and activities through to the end of the current school year. Perhaps you might like to post it at your library or school, or simply keep it as reminder of the dates.