Schools – see our dedicated schools page please.
Saturday Chess Club – Online
As a result of the containment measures implemented by the government in response to the Covid-19 pandemic, Richmond Junior Chess Club has been meeting online since April 2020.
We are currently in Summer Term 2021, our 4th term of online chess classes. We have tried to implement as much of what we normally do and have done successfully for many years in real life on a Saturday afternoon as possible in our online classes. We hope we have been successful in this, and so far, the feedback has been positive. We hope finally to return to meeting in real life in Autumn Term 201, but that will depend on future developments in the current pandemic.
Our online classes use Zoom to provide the online conferencing technology and chess.com to provide the needed chess server.
Summer Term 2021
Summer Term 2021 will consist of 12 sessions:
- May 1, 15, 22, 29
- June 5, 12, 19, 26
- July 3, 10, 17, 24
Please note that there will be no classes on Saturday, May 8th. On that day, we will be busy running two teams of 20 players in the national Final of the Inter-Association (“Counties”) Championship, which is a huge logistic effort. It is possible that we may hold something small for Beginners & Novices and for secondary school students, but if so, we will announce it in advance.
Types of Classes
We split our classes into the following types:
- Beginners & Novices – we run a single online class lasting for an hour and twenty minutes for young players, aged 6 years and up, learning chess for the first time.
- Intermediate – we hold two classes for young players who are already familiar with the moves of the pieces, the basic tactical themes (double attack, pin, skewer, discovered check, double check, discovered attack, removal of the guard, etc.) and the elementary endgame mates (king and queen, two rooks and king and rook against the lone king) and wish to improve their knowledge and skills and to gain the confidence to be able to take part in chess tournaments for the first time.
- Advanced – we hold three increasingly Advanced classes for young people up to 18 years of age, who are already taking part in chess tournaments, at local, regional, national and international levels. These classes are held by skilled coaches who are themselves experienced, strong players, able to impart high level knowledge about all aspects of the game, from openings, middle-games, endgames, attack and defence, tactics, strategy and positional play, to sports psychology and how to maximum one’s performance.
15:30 – 16:50 Group instruction via Zoom, and the opportunity to play against other Novices
13:20 – 14:20 Weekly Online Arena Tournament (optional)
14:20 – 15:30 Instruction in ability groups (Zoom)
15:30 – 16:30 Online rapidplay game in the Club Championship (chess.com)
16:00 – 17:00 Coach-led game analysis of the games played in the Online Club Championship (Zoom)
Signing Up to our Online Classes
To sign your children up,
- Please download and complete the Online Membership Form (in whichever of MS-Word or PDF Format you find most convenient):
- Please download and complete the Fees – Summer Term 2021 Form (in whichever of MS-Word or PDF Format you find most convenient):
- Please return the completed forms by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On receipt of the forms, you will receive confirmation of your children’s places in our classes, and Zoom login details.