The London Junior Chess Championship (LJCC) is an annual event held since 1924, originally as the London Boys Championship.
The LJCC is held in age delimited categories, Under 8, Under 10, Under 12, Under 14, Under 16, Under 18 and Under 21. Admission to a given age limited section requires being younger than the age limit at midnight on the 31st of August in the year of the Finals. The following list summarises the age limits in terms of the standard school years used in the English school education system:
- U8 – corresponds to Year 3 and younger
- U10 – corresponds to Year 5 and younger
- U12 – corresponds to Year 7 and younger
- U14 – corresponds to Year 9 and younger
- U16 – corresponds to Year 11 and younger
Playing in the U8, U10 and Under 12 Finals requires pre-qualification, generally by obtaining a result in a qualification tournament. Direct admission to the Finals is also possible for a few players who have already achieved an ECF Rating above a certain threshold. The ratings must be standard or rapid ratings for otb (over the board) play; online ratings are excluded. The following list gives the rating thresholds for direct qualification:
- U8 – ECF rating of 1250 or higher
- U10 – ECF rating of 1500 or higher
- U12 – ECF rating of 1750 or higher
Players who wish take part in the older age categories, from U14 to U21, apply directly. Pre-qualification is not required.
The qualification score for the U8 is 4 points from 6 games. The U10 and U12 Finals are divided into two sections: Major and Minor. A score of 4½ qualifies for the Major, whilst a score of 3½ or 4 qualifies for the Minor. A player that has qualified for the Major cannot play in the Minor.
Full details of the qualification process and the Finals can be found at: https://www.ljcc.co.uk/.
Richmond Juniors holds two qualification tournaments each year, one held in October at Twickenham Prep School and one held early in December at Orleans Park School.
Twickenham Junior Chess Congress 2021 – Saturday 4th December
Richmond Juniors will hold a qualifying tournament at Twickenham Prep School on Saturday 4th December. The entry form can be downloaded at:
- http://rjcc.org.uk/twickenham-junior-chess-congress-2021-12-04 (in MS-Word format)
- http://rjcc.org.uk/twickenham-junior-chess-congress-2021-12-04-2 (in PDF format)
Please download and complete the form in either format and return by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Hampton Junior Chess Congress 2021 – Saturday 16th October
Richmond Juniors held a qualifying tournament on Saturday 16th October. The venue had to move at short notice to Orleans Park School. The results can be found at:
- U8 – https://chess-results.com/tnr581161.aspx?lan=1
- U10 – https://chess-results.com/tnr581162.aspx?lan=1
- U12 – https://chess-results.com/tnr581163.aspx?lan=1
The qualifiers were as follows:
- U8 – Maximilian Filip (4 pts), Richard Kulibaev & Yichen Zhang (5 pts)
- U10 Minor – Theo Cleanis (3½ pts), Alexander Moldavsky, Gabriel Bernard & Odysseas Lobotesis (4 pts)
- U10 Major – Armaan Rao and Harvey Li (4½ pts), Dhairya Kataria (5 pts), Yuk Hei Lee (5½ pts)
- U12 Minor – Maks Blicharz, Matthew Trimble & Olivier Win Lemmers (3½ pts), Alexei Lapidus & Jake Poghosyan (4 pts)
- U12 Major – Balahari Bharat Kumar, Alexander Nikolov & Brian Tang (4½ pts), Zain Patel (5 points)